To make a traditional version using an ice cream machine check out Sweet Strawberry Cream Cheese Ice Cream.Print
STRAWBERRY SWIRL NO-CHURN ICE CREAM
A super easy summer recipe for no-churn ice cream. Big jammy swirls bursting with fresh strawberries surrounded by creamy vanilla ice cream. No ice cream machine needed!
- 50g (¼ cup) sugar
- 4g (1 TBS) dried hibiscus
- 50g (2 TBS) organic light corn syrup
- 25g (2 TBS) water
- 225g (½lb) strawberries hulled*
- 14 oz (1 can) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 TBS vodka *
- 1 TBS vanilla paste*
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups (400g) heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the strawberries into halves (or quarters if they are monster-sized) and place in a small shallow pan*.
- Put the sugar, hibiscus, organic corn syrup, and water in a small pan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is fully dissolved. Cook until the mixture just starts to boil. Turn off the heat and let the syrup sit for 20 minutes then strain out the hibiscus, pressing down to squeeze all the juices.
- Pour the syrup over the strawberries in the roasting pan. Make sure all the berries are coated in syrup and in a single layer. Roast for 40-45 minutes until thick, soft, and jam-like.
- Let the berries cool off. Pour the warm berries into a blender or food processer (or use an immersion blender) and blitz until fully pureed. Refrigerate until needed.
- Mix together the condensed milk, vodka*, vanilla paste, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream at high speed until soft peaks form. Take 1/3 of the whipped cream and mix it into the condensed milk until completely incorporated. Dump in the rest of the whipped cream and gradually fold it in. Don’t over stir, the mixture should come together but still be somewhat ‘airy.’
- Put a couple of large spoonfuls of the strawberry into the bottom of a container, followed by a layer of ice cream. Alternate spoonfuls of strawberry and ice cream. For a thick ripple effect, don’t swirl the strawberry sauce (the ice cream is too soft at melty at this point) leave it layers, cover with plastic wrap and freeze until solid (3-4 hours depending on your freezer).
- the pan should be small enough that all of the strawberries are snugged in a single layer and touching
- Rum or bourbon would also work in place of the vodka. If you choose to skip the alcohol, just know that the texture will end up a bit harder and will need time to warm up before it is scoopable
- If you don’t have vanilla paste substitute 1½ tsp of extract.