- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
PUMPKIN ICE CREAM
- 2/3 cup. pumpkin puree
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp whiskey
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- ¼ tsp vanilla paste or extract
- caramel sauce – optional
- Preheat over to 350o F
- Line a 9” springform pan (or a 9 x 3” round cake pan) with aluminum foil, letting the excess hang over the sides.
- Melt butter
- Add half of the melted butter to the graham cracker crumbs and stir. Continue adding the butter and stirring until all the mixture is moist but not wet (you may not need all of the butter)
- Press the crumb mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until firm and lightly browned. Cool completely before filling
ICE CREAM LAYER
- Place pumpkin puree in a lump on a bed of 2 or 3 paper towels. Gently squeeze out the moisture. Flip onto the other side and repeat. If the pumpkin is still very wet, repeat the process with fresh paper towels until the puree is only slightly damp to the touch.
- Mix the puree, condensed milk and all the spices. Add the whiskey and mix until combined.
- In a stand mixer (or hand-held mixer) whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Mix a third of the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture – don’t be shy – really mix it in. Dump the rest of the whipped cream into the bowl and fold it into the pumpkin mixture until there are no streaks.
- Pour into the lined cake pan on top of the cooled graham cracker crust. Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
- Place the cream cheese, butter and sour cream into a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on med-high until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, beat on low for a minute then add the vanilla. Turn up to medium-high and beat until completely smooth.
- Spread the topping on top of the frozen pumpkin ice cream (make sure it is firm before adding topping). You can unmold and serve immediately with the caramel drizzle (if using). Or leave in the cake pan and freeze until ready to serve.
- Check to make sure it’s 100% pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling. The only ingredients should be …pumpkin.
- Rum or Bourbon are excellent substitutions for whiskey. You can omit the alcohol but the ice cream will be noticeably firmer
- To serve: Allow the whole cake to stand a room temperature for 20 minutes. Run a knife under hot water and wipe dry before slicing. For clean slices wipe the blade between each cut.
- Keep cake tightly wrapped in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn