- 400g (2 cups) heavy cream
- 385g (2 cups) milk
- 25 g (3 TBS) non-fat milk powder
- 150g (¾ cup) sugar
- 50g (2 ½ TBS) organic corn syrup
- 8g (1 TBS) tapioca starch
- pinch of salt
- 1 TBS good quality vanilla bean paste*
- Make an ice bath and set aside. Have a clean bowl and a fine mesh strainer standing by.
- Combine milk, cream, non-fat milk powder, sugar, corn syrup, tapioca starch, and salt in a saucepan. Whisk to remove any lumps. Cook over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes until bubbles start forming around the edges but do not let it come to a full rolling boil. Keep stirring the mixture while it cooks.
- Once it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, pour through a fine-mesh strainer into the bowl that is standing by.
- Once the mixture is cooled to room temperature, add the vanilla paste. Whisk to combine
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or ideally overnight. Process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. When it reaches the consistency of soft-serve ice cream (about 20-30 minutes on most machines), scoop it into a container, cover with plastic wrap and freeze until solid (3-4 hours depending on your freezer). Enjoy!
- Vanilla Bean Paste Substitutions: 2 tsp vanilla extract or seeds from 1 vanilla bean. If using a vanilla bean: scrape the seeds and reserve, add the vanilla bean while cooking then remove, whisk in the reserved seeds to the base once it cools.
- For a stronger more pronounced, intense vanilla flavor increase the vanilla to a maximum of 2 TBS of vanilla paste (or 2 vanilla beans)